Goal: To find Eco-friendly makeup brushes.
Brand: Gabriel Cosmetics, Inc.
Product: Gabriel Makeup Brushes: (All sold separately, from L to R) Angle Brush, Blush Brush, Brow/Lash Brush, Fluff Brush, Powder Brush, Super Fluff Brush and Lip Brush (currently out of stock).
Description: Though they may perform the same tasks, all makeup brushes are not created equal, and that’s why Gabriel is synonymous with top-notch cosmetic tools. The type of hair used in a brush determines its porosity (ability to hold and disperse pigment) and flexibility. Each brush head is hand-stacked, never cut, to retain the soft, natural point of each hair. Hard, blunted edges can irritate sensitive skin and the delicate eye area. Goat and pony hairs are gathered each winter as they’re shed from the animals’ tails (that’s when they are the softest), so no creature is ever harmed. Our brushes are Fair Trade and Sustainable, they are made from natural birch wood.
Ingredients: Animal friendly goat and pony hairs (yes, really) and natural birch wood.
Blush Brush: Our Blush Brush’s natural hairs are hand formed to create a perfectly rounded shape, allowing you to apply just the right amount of pigment to cheeks, body or décolletage. Perfect for highlighting, contorting or applying your everyday blush. This fabulous brush gives you just the touch of color you desire for every occasion.
Price: $ 32.70
Brow / Lash Brush: This multi-functional Eyebrow/Lash Comb is amazing for defining brows and lashes for that perfectly groomed look. Use the brush side to blend brow color and groom hair in place. The comb side is excellent for combing out those annoying mascara clumps and flakes. This brush is definitely an essential tool to any fabulous makeup application.
Price: $ 14.75
Fluff Brush: This brush has a thick bundle of fibers arranged in a rounded shape. Use to shade lid and brow area with powder color and highlighter.
Price: $ 21.00
Powder Brush: This luxurious hand shaped Powder Brush is perfect for the dusting of loose, pressed or mineral powder on all skin types. The soft bristles are ideal for picking up and dispensing just the right amount of product on the face or body. The natural hairs on this amazing brush will leave you with a flawless finish every time!
Price: $ 46.42
Super Fluff Brush: Our incredibly versatile Super Fluff Brush is excellent for use on the eyes and face. Use on eyes to distribute, blend and shade your favorite shadows. Use on the face for detailing, blending and contouring for a perfectly finished look. This multi functional brush is perfect for the use of all your powder based products.
Price: $ 22.50
- Texture: Super soft and fluffy!
- Visual Attractiveness: Super Sleek!
- How Long I’ve Used Them: For the past 7 months.
- Where to Find: Gabriel Cosmetics Inc.
- Acquired: Sent to me to be reviewed with my honest opinion.
- Customer Service: LOVE!
- Loved: The black ferrules and that they are made of real hair, but cause no harm to animals!
- Hated: That they’re so expensive, the brushes were really dirty when I got them (make sure you wash them first!), and that there isn’t more of a selection of size / shape/ stiffness, etc.
- The GG’s Final Thoughts: I am all about being Eco-friendly, but I am not a fan of makeup brushes with synthetic hair. I think natural ones are honestly the best and last the longest if well taken care of. As an ex- M.A.C. addict who still has all my M.A.C. brushes (an investment, I’m happy to say that some have lasted me almost 15 years) with no plans of trashing of anytime soon. However, I’ve been on the lookout for alternatives to recommend and also to replace mine with when they go. There is no doubt about the fact that I love the quality of Gabriel’s Brushes, but I miss the variety of choices I have with other companies. I really needed one in between the Fluff Brush (nice and firm) and the Super Flush Brush (not firm enough)… kinda like Goldilocks, Lol. I always wash new makeup brushes- and I’m not sure if it’s due to the nature of authenticity here… but the brushes were filthy when I got them! The clear protective packaging was completely clean, and by the look they didn’t seem dirty at all. After that initial deep cleaning, I was good to go! Hopefully they’ll come out with more of a professional variety in size / shape/ stiffness sometime soon! Thanks for such amazing animal & people friendly beauty tools Gabriel! xo
Valentine RoseJuly 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm
Interesting review, thanks!
The Glamorganic GoddessJuly 6, 2011 at 1:23 am
The GG :)
☮♥ Peace Love MakeupJuly 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm
Try ABT synthetic brushes available at peacelovemakeup.com…you might become a fan :) they are amazing!
TreenzJuly 18, 2011 at 2:40 am
Hey cool to find you too- thanks for checking out my blog! Great to find someone else doing the same thing for sure!!! Lets share safe product finds. I, too, am about to review Gabriel. Been trying it out and love it….also have a few others. Keep in touch!
UnknownJuly 20, 2011 at 7:56 pm
Have you seen galadarling.com? It’s another blog I love, maybe you would too!
Also, do you think you could put together a list or table of EWG’s safe (0-3) mascaras and eyeliners along with what mainstream stores carry them (like Ulta and Sephora) and prices? That would be super helpful!
I love your website layout, by the way.
The Glamorganic GoddessJuly 20, 2011 at 8:08 pm
Thanks! I really don’t use the EWG’s Skin Deep Database too much anymore… and the only safe Mascaras and Eye Liners I’ve tried and would be able to recommend are listed here. It would be impossible to really make an accurate list since formulations, scores and stores are always changing.
The GG :)