Natural or not, avoid these ingredients when shopping for safe sunscreens.
- Nano-Particles – penetration enhancers, creates free radical damage when exposed to sunlight, increases the risk of certain Cancers.
- Retinyl Palmitate – a form of Vitamin A can speed the development of lesions and tumors when applied to the skin in the presence of sunlight.
- Avabenzone, Oxybenzone – hormone disruptors, photoallergic reactions, immunotoxicity, probable carcinogen, endocrine disrupter, enhanced skin absorption, bioaccumulates to dangerous levels, biochemical cellular changes, developmental and reproductive toxicity.
- Phenol – reproductive and developmental toxin and pollutes wildlife.
- Octinoxate (Octyl Methoxycinamate)– listed as made from cinnamon, endocrine disruptor, hormone disruptor, penetration enhancer.
- Octocrylene – penetration enhancer, creates free radical damage when exposed to sunlight.
- PABA (Octyl Dimethyl PABA, PABA Ester) – cell mutation, Nitrosamine contamination (carcinogenic), creates free radicals damage when exposed to sunlight, penetration enhancer, hormone disruptor.
- Chemicals That Kill Coral Reefs – paraben, cinnamate, benzophenone, and a camphor derivative.
- Synthetic Fragrance – contains phthalates, developmental and reproductive toxin, respiratory toxicant, probable neurotoxin, possible carcinogen and endocrine disruptor, bio-accumulative in wildlife, immune system toxicant, can contain between 10 and 300 different chemicals, many of which have never been tested for safety.
- Parabens – alter hormone levels, increase risk for certain types of cancer (especially breast), impaired fertility, alteration of the development of a fetus or young child, studies have found parabens in breast tumors, probable skin toxicant, animal studies show brain and nervous system effects.
- Petro-Chemicals – contaminated with impurities, linked to cancer or other significant health problems, bad for the environment.
- Avoid all of the above as well as the usual suspects, found here!
xo The Glamorganic Goddess
Image via. Source, Source, Source, Source
DebMay 31, 2013 at 3:16 am
So – from what I have been able to find, it’s only the “mechanical” blocking type sunscreens like the white nose zinc that are safe sun options. Do you have any safer recommendations?
Thanks a million in advance! Love all your info – helps me make better choices all of the time
DanielleJune 6, 2013 at 10:51 pm
You’re correct! :)
Check out “Sun-Care” on the “Bath + Body” menu above. An updated list will posted ASAP!
The GG <3
DanielleJuly 2, 2013 at 12:33 am
TY! For my 2013 recommendations, check here.