Goal: To find a safer, more natural pressed powder foundation- that has decent coverage and lasts all day without clogging my pores.
Brand I Tried: Jane Iredale
Product: PurePressed® Base SPF 20 in the shade of “Golden Glow”.
Product Description: (directly from their website) The look is sheer and semi-matte. The feel is weightless. Trust our pressed mineral foundation to look like your skin, only better. UVA/UVB SPF 20 broad-spectrum sun protection, A foundation, powder, concealer and sunscreen all in one,Very water-resistant and highly pigmented, Applies evenly and easily, providing long-lasting, gorgeous coverage, Light diffusing properties make skin look flawless, healthy and younger, Minimizes pores and fine lines, No oil, talc, dyes and parabens, Gentle, safe for sensitive eyes and formulated with good-for-the-skin ingredients, Crease-resistant and long-lasting, May be applied wet or dry to complement any look, Great for shading, highlighting, contouring and lining. Jane Iredale PurePressed Base is now recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation.
Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 14%, Zinc Oxide 3%. Ingredients: Mica, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pinus Strobus (Pine) Bark Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides, Ultramarines, Chromium Oxide Greens.
- Price: $49.50. (Note: The first time you buy it you have to buy the gold compact. After that, you can just buy the refills for it for $40.00, I think).
- Size: 9.9 g / .35 oz.
- Uses: Facial powder foundation.
- Amount Of Product Used For It To Be Effective: Umm, I feel like I blow right through it! I wish you got more for your money. I am also used to using something with much heavier coverage, like MAC. I’ve gotten used to it though. I use much less now, than I did in the beginning.
- First Impression: I just paid how much for this??? And that’s all that’s in there?
- Visual Attractiveness: Case is nice, just really heavy! I’m terrified to drop it… it would shatter the makeup to smithereens, I’m sure! A plastic one would be so much more practical!
- Texture: Pressed powder. While I do appreciate that it’s a pressed mineral powder, it flies all over the place! Why is it so hard to find pressed mineral makeup? Hmmm?
- Scent: N/A.
- How Long I’ve Used It: Since May 2010.
- Easy To Find And Where? Not so much. I just so happen to have a Spa at the Nordstrom near my house who carried a VERY small selection of it. I hate buying makeup online! I just wanted to go somewhere to match my color. Ugh! It seems like only Dr.’s offices, high end salons, spas and boutiques sell it. You can buy it online at Janeiredale.com, Nordstrom.com and Dermstore.com- (which has free shipping and easy returns with a 100% Color Match Guarantee).
- Acquired: Purchased with my own moolah.
- Customer Service: N/A.
- Sample, Trial, Travel Sizes?: I wish they had free samples, or sample sizes you could buy to see if it’s the correct shade. You can buy starter kits, but they come with other products like brushes, etc.. that I don’t need, and by the time you pay for them- you just might as well purchase the full size product that you needed in the first place.
- EWG’s Skin Deep – Cosmetic Safety Database Rating for Jane Iredale PurePressed® Base SPF 20: 2.
- Product This Will Be Replacing: MAC Studio Fix (tears, sniffle, sniffle).
- EWG’s Skin Deep – Cosmetic Safety Database Rating for MAC Studio Fix: 4 .
- Verdict: One of the few things I can’t live without is a good foundation, concealer, powder, etc… I don’t use a kabuki brush with it either- I actually use my MAC 187 brush. If you’re not used to using mineral makeup (like me)… don’t get frustrated. It will take a little practice to get the hang of the “Swirl, Tap, Buff” technique. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to apply it. Long story short… if you just brush it on- you will think there is no coverage- the trick is in knowing that the more you buff and blend, the more coverage you see. I have combination skin with breakouts from time to time, Grrr. This doesn’t clog my pores or make my skin feel greasy, and actually wears pretty well AND has decent coverage. I am all about pressed powders people! I feel like you loose too much product with loose powder, plus- it’s unhealthy to breathe it in. So I am definitely happy to find this! One of my biggest pet peeves is this though is 1. it contains dimethicone + 2. compared to other high end makeup brands, it doesn’t seem like you get a lot for the $. The cost of this is nearly double what I was previously paying for MAC! I normally would buy a compact for my purse, and one for home which is not really affordable to do in this case. Another pet-peeve I have is that I’m afraid of dropping my purse or banging the compact around in my bag. It won’t stand a chance to absorb the shock in the heavy, metal compact case it comes in. While I love the actual performance of the product – I’m not totally head-over-heels in love with the package, even though it’s pretty. I would purchase this again + would definitely recommend it. Thanks JI! xo