Herbal Steam Facials are a Beauty Ritual I swear by when I’m really looking to detox my skin! They’re super-easy, super-cheap + a really great way to get all the gunk out of your pores!
I try to do these on a regular basis each + every time I give myself a facial… in a 4-step process: 1. Steam, 2. Exfoliate, 3. Mask, 4. Treat (Serum, Spot-Treat + Moisturize). Plus – they’re a really FAB Aromatherapy Sesh, on the sly.
Of course you can use any brand or type of organic loose herbal teas or dried herbs, etc., but using tea bags makes it much easier clean-up at the end. I’ve recently been drinking a lot of teas from Pukka Herbs, + have been into using theses varieties in particular, for my facial steam packets: Cleanse, Detox, Detox with Lemon, Clean Green Matcha, + Turmeric Glow.
- 1-2 | Pukka Herbs Tea Bags
- 4 Cups | Gently Boiled Filtered Water
- Large, Heavy Bath Towel
- Large, Heat-Safe Stainless Steel or Glass Bowl
- Timer | Set for 15 Minutes (I use my phone)
- Begin with clean skin.
- While the water is on the stove, prep everything on your kitchen table…
- Place the pot-holder under the empty bowl so it doesn’t burn the surface, + drop the tea bags in.
- Unfold the towel in front of the bowl, + make sure your phone timer is all set + ready to go.
- Once the water has reached a gentle boil, pour it over the tea bags + let it sit, + steep for a few minutes – so you don’t burn your skin.
- Start the timer + drape the towel over your head + the bowl… creating a “towel tent” to trap all the steam in.
- Inhale + exhale deeply, + try to relax.
- As soon as the timer goes off, wipe your face with the towel + either wash your face with a gentle cleanser, or follow my 4-step ritual for super clean + smooth skin.
- Please, please, please make sure the water is NOT too hot before attempting to steam! Let it sit for a few minutes, so the tea can steep – plus, this will give it a little time to cool down so you don’t scold your skin.
- I usually snip the strings / tags off my tea bags, but you don’t have to.
- I know some people like to get 2 uses out of the herbal water – they’ll use it for the steam, + then save some to use as a toner once they’re done. Personally, I’m totally grossed out by this – because 1. if you do it properly, you will really sweat. And, 2. it drips down into the bowl. So… you’re basically re-toxing your skin with all the nasty toxins you just sweat out. So. I just can’t recommend that. Lol.
- If you have a cold – add just a drop or two of eucalyptus essential oil to peppermint tea! These can help clear your sinuses + your skin! Your welcome.
Have you ever done a Tea Bag Steam Facial? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!