Apparently, Thyme is a natural alternative to the infamous acne treatment, benzoyl peroxide, and in fact – it has even been found to be more effective, according to this snazzy study! Who knew Thyme was such is an antibacterial powerhouse?!
While benzoyl peroxide may work well at first – it’s got horrendous side-effects that make it like crack to get off of! Cue horrible flashbacks of Proactiv, ugh!!)! Burning, itching, peeling, greasy, dry + super-sensitive skin… all at the same time. And, it creates free-radicals too! Totally not cool.
So, if you’re in the market for something more gentle, yet effective from mother nature, try this tincture! I had originally seen this recipe awhile back here, + then saw it again recently here while looking for a natural replacement for my prescription acne treatments – so, I decided to give it a shot! While I love my Witch Hazel for lots of things, this recipe wasn’t a miracle-worker for me, but lots of others swear by it! So, check it out!
What you need
- Sterilized Glass Jar
- Measuring Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- 1 Tsp. Dried Organic Thyme
- Witch Hazel
- Some Witch Hazels contain alcohol. Play around with it + see if you like the regular, or Alcohol-free Witch Hazel version better.
- The Witch Hazel will turn brown from the Thyme.
- You can use it right away, but let the thyme for a few days before straining the thyme out.
- This doesn’t necessarily have the most pleasant smell, but works well!
- Always use the highest quality of fresh, organic ingredients when possible.
- Sterilize your jar with rubbing alcohol or by boiling for 10 minutes.
- Add the thyme to a sterilized bottle or jar.
- Pour 3 oz. of witch hazel on top.
- Shake the mixture + allow it to steep for 3 days.
- Strain the thyme.
- Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 month.
- To use – add to a cotton round + swipe as necessary.
Have you ever tried this, or any DIY Toner for Acne?