Halloween face paints rarely include a ingredient list, but when they do – they’re often loaded with tons of scary petrochemicals, preservatives, heavy metals, synthetic dyes + other potentially harmful ingredients. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics reported that 10 out of 10 face paints they tested contained lead (a powerful neurotoxin), while others even contained nickel, cobalt + chromium. So, to avoid all that, here’s an easy-peasy DIY – made with totally safe, natural + organic products you probably already have on hand!
- A Safe Sunscreen, Beauty Balm or Diaper Balm
- Loose powder mineral makeup, eye shadows or pigments
- Makeup Brushes
- Large Dish
- For Sunscreens, try Badger , True Natural or Raw Elements. The thicker + whiter, the better in this case! This is a fab way to re-purpose leftover sunscreen from summer.
- For Mineral Makeup, try Alima Pure. They have a wide selection of super-rich, highly pigmented colors, that also have various finishes – like satin matte, pearl + shimmer.
- Using the dish like a painter’s palette, add a very small amount of sunscreen or balm. You’ll want a consistency that’s as dry as possible – so it doesn’t rub off. You can always add more later, to adjust the consistency.
- Next, carefully add a small amount of mineral makeup + mix well, until you see a smooth + consistent color throughout.
- Continue adding color until you reach the desired shade.
- Repeat with all the colors you’ll need.
- Apply using fingertips or makeup brushes.
Have you tried this? What products did you use + do you have any tips?